Friday, August 28, 2009

Slap Cheek - Do you know about it?


If you're pregnant (like me) and don't know about Parvovirus B19, or more commonly known as "slap cheek" or "fifth disease", then it's worth your time finding out about it. When I was told that a friend had it and that I needed to get tested, I was surprised as I'd never heard of it before.

Slap cheek is a virus that most of us get as children at some stage. Approx 60% of us have immunity to it from a previous exposure. Once you get it, there's a high probability that you are now immune, however, some people are not immune.


Whilst the symptoms are only mild and are similar to the common cold or flu, which is then followed by this red rash that appears on the face or abdomen which resembles a slap (hence the name), the virus is much more serious for pregnant women.


As I mentioned, about 60% of us are immune, but if you are not immune, the virus can pass on to the unborn baby. Whilst most babies are able to recover, some will develop anemia and this could be potentially life threatening for them.


If you have been in contact with someone with slap cheek, insist on a blood test to check your immunity. I have just been to 2 different doctors requesting a blood test, and have been told both times that I didn't need to worry about it. I will keep seeing doctors till I find someone who will give me the blood test just to put my mind at peace about it.


Unfortunately, even though this is such a common virus, it's not really understood all that well and taken seriously by many doctors. The high risk period is up to 20 weeks gestation, however, there have been deaths recorded in babies that have gone past this, so it's important to keep insisting till your happy with the outcome if you are at all concerned.


If you are diagnosed with having recent exposure to the virus and are pregnant, it's likely that you will be monitored more closely by regular ultrasounds. This monitoring can go on for up to 4 weeks. There's not really much they can do to prevent this, however, if the case is serious, they can give the baby a blood transfusion in extreme circumstances.


Fortunately I haven't had any flu like symptoms, nor have I had a rash or red cheeks yet, but I still feel it's important to persist with till I'm 100% sure that I'm ok.


If you know of anyone that is pregnant and not aware of this virus, please refer them to this post, or ask them to look this up online - there are loads of articles about slap cheek if you search google.


No comments:

Post a Comment